On the back of the Easter weekend, things aren’t letting up on the gig front and Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has all the details.
Happy Easter! We know you’re either hungover or have over indulged in too much chocolate, but we hope you took our advice and raided the Tesco aisles for all those reduced Cadbury Creme Eggs this morning. Yes, we’ve been there and done that. Worth it!
Along with the glorious weather (seriously, how good is it!), it’s been a great weekend so far, but obviously that’s not why you’re here. There’s the small matter of next week’s gig guide and – as always – we are here to serve you: the people.
There’s plenty of great stuff going on, not least the two in-stores that Jacaranda Phase One have planned (details below).
There’s interesting stuff happening at 24 Kitchen St and like every other week there’s always something thought-provoking where the fine people at Parrjazz are concerned – this time in the Neil C Young Trio.
So, here’s that pitch again. With all the money you saved on those Cadbury Crème Eggs this morning, coupled with rattling that penny jar, scrape together some funds and get along and enjoy one of these. The weather is no longer an excuse.
Our top picks of the week:
Fat White Family in-store: Jacaranda Phase One, Wednesday April 24
South London’s anti-rock degenerates, Fat White Family, shake things up on your Wednesday, playing Jacaranda Phase One in support of their new album, Serfs Up!
This one’s an in-store and will be a rare occasion to get up and personal with everyone’s favourite rascals from the south. The new album is great, so we strongly urge you to get involved with this.
Cabbage: Arts Club, Wednesday April 24
Noughties indie rockers, Cabbage, will inflict their usual brand of chaos within the confines of the Arts Club.
With their debut album, Nihilistic Glamour Shots, being released last year, the band tour in support of their new single, Torture. Support is provided by local shadowy shape-shifters, RongoRongo.
Malena Zavala: Sound Food and Drink, Friday April 26
Argentinian born artist, producer and film maker, Malena Zavala, plays Sound Food and Drink in support of her debut album, Aliso, which was released last April via Yucatan Records.
Zavala also plays Sound City the week after, however we think this is the one not to miss.
Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Adrian Younge: 24 Kitchen Street, Friday April 26
A Tribe Called Quest‘s Ali Shaheed Muhammad and Adrian Younge team up by bringing their rap and soul fusion to 24 Kitchen Street.
Having released last year’s album, The Midnight Hour, which was compared to a Luke Cage soundtrack, this has once again expanded the boundaries of Kitchen Street‘s eclectic programming. It’ll be a good night, this.
Peter Doherty and The Puta Madres: Jacaranda Phase One, Saturday April 27
The band’s debut self-titled album is released the day before on April 26 and given Doherty‘s recent performance in Liverpool at Hangar 34, this one’s bound to sell out. Like all in-stores, there will be a signing session with Peter and the band after the show.
The Specials: Eventim Olympia, Saturday, April 27
2 tone ska pioneers, The Specials, return to Liverpool on the back of their newly released long-player, Encore.
The band last played the city in 2016, however since their formation in 1977, were regulars in Liverpool during the post-punk era. Support is provided by The Tuts in what looks to be the gig of the week right here.
What else is on:
- Lowkey: 24 Kitchen Street, Tuesday April 23
- Parrjazz presents the Neil C Young Trio: Jacaranda Phase One, Tuesday April 23
- Nick Ball & The Wrong Crowd, The Loose Cut, Joe Astley: 81 Renshaw, Thursday April 25
- Ruby Rushton, Kyami & Giovanna: Jacaranda Phase One, Friday 26
- Aziz Ibrahim & Inder Goldfinger: Ullet Road Unitarian Church, Friday, April 26
- Brothers of Mine: Sound Food and Drink, Saturday April 27
- Hollywood Undead: Mountford Hall, Saturday, April 27
- Newton Faulkner: O2 Academy, Saturday, April 27
- The Liquid Engineers: 81 Renshaw, Saturday April 27
- Rock Steady: The Specials Official After Party: Brick Street, Saturday April 27
- Parrjazz presents Modjango: Ma Boyle’s, Saturday April 27
- Smooth Sounds present Hi Charity, Midnight at 6, Full House, Pleasure Island: The Jacaranda, Saturday April 27
- The Cazales with special guests: EBGB’s, Saturday April 27
- Dean Friedman: Epstein Theatre, Sunday, April 28
- Kill The Ideal, Evade Escape + special guests: EBGBs, Liverpool, Sunday April 28
- Big Condo Presents Echos Of The Future Three: Studio 2 Parr Street, Sunday April 28