The students are back in town and with their arrival comes more gigs, Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has all the details.
Freshers week, freshers week!
Compiling this week’s gig guide and that’s all we have seemed to come across. Yes, the kids are back in town ready for another year of financial drain and hangovers. Just enjoy yourselves, we say!
It’s good, the students bring a new kind of energy to town, which is needed. It’ll brighten the place up a bit as we enter the cooler months.
It’s even better because things are starting to slip into second gear in the arena of all things gigs. It’s another solid week, spearheaded by local lads done good, Red Rum Club.
Alexander Tucker returns to town for an imitate affair at the Kaz’ Stockroom while local acoustic wordsmiths, Marvin Powell and up and coming songwriter, John Witherspoon also showcase their talents with new music.
So, again, there’s always something going on. And like we say on here every other week, quite simply, you need to get involved, so choose wisely and enjoy!
Our gig pick’s this week.
John Witherspoon – Studio2 Parr Street, Wednesday September 25
Local singer-songwriter, John Witherspoon, plays at Studio2 Parr Street with his band in support of brand new single, My Dad, which is released on the same day.
My Dad is the second single from Witherspoon‘s forthcoming debut album and follows the brilliant lead single, Mr Low Down.
This is certainly one not to miss, for we think Witherspoon is one of the finest up and coming talents Liverpool has to offer.
Alexander Tucker: Kazimier Stockroom, Friday September 27
It’s Tucker‘s second solo album in as many years and with only one other date on this tour planned, this show is somewhat of a rarity and one not to miss.
Support comes from Silvia Battista, Germanager, and DJ Embob.
Marvin Powell: Leaf, Friday September 27
If you didn’t manage to grab tickets for Alexander Tucker then this is certainly the next best way to spend your Friday night.
Ferris & Sylvester: Jacaranda Phase One, Friday September 27
Brit folksters, Ferris & Sylvester, return to Liverpool to promote their new single, I Dare You, which was released on August 30.
Dubbed an “alt Simon & Garfunkel“, the London duo have a debut new album in the offing which will follow last year’s EP, Made in Streatham.
Red Rum Club: O2 Academy, Saturday September 28
After their sell out show earlier this year at Jacaranda Phase One, local rockers, Red Rum Club, return for their biggest gig of the year in support of their much talked about debut album, Matador.
With their devoted followers having nine months to digest Matador, this one will be a celebration of sorts. Certainly the gig of the week right here.
The Leisure Society: Leaf, Saturday September 28
Burton five-piece, The Leisure Society, return to Liverpool in support of their latest album, Arrivals and Departures.
Arrivals and Departures is the band’s fourth and was recorded in the Peak District, the Cotswolds and in Richelieu, France.
She Makes War round off the night’s line-up.
What else is happening:
- Mallory Knox: Jacaranda Phase One, Monday September 23
- The Wonder Pot w Peach & India Jordan: 24 Kitchen Street, Tuesday September 24
- ParrJazz presents Green Tangerines and Mc Nelson: Jacaranda Phase One, Tuesday September 24
- Happy Accidents presents Pablo, The Secrets That Kill Us, Saturn Split, Flogging the Dead Horse: The Jacaranda Club, Tuesday September 24
- Nordoff Robbins Presents GET LOUD with Sigala: Arts Club, Loft, Wednesday September 25
- Klub Kiwi: 24 Kitchen Street, Wednesday September 25
- Arcade Hearts: Sound Food and Drink, Thursday September 26
- Volume III with Mal Hijo, San Pedro’s Vision, NULLA, The Besiders, Sombras: The Zanzibar Club, Thursday, September 26
- CherryBomb: Arts Club, Thursday September 26
- Ranzas: Studio2 Parr Street, Friday September 27
- God On My Right plus special guests: EBGB’s, Friday September 27
- WAH – Shy FX, Darkzy plus more supports TBA, Invisible Wind Factory, Saturday September 28
- Living Hour: Sound Food and Drink, Saturday September 28
- Courtyards: The Jacaranda, Saturday September 28
- This Feeling: Jacaranda Phase One, Saturday September 28
- Parrjazz presents Modjango: Ma Boyles Saturday September 28
- Glass Ceilings: Sound Food and Drink, Sunday September 29