BBC 6 Music Festival arrives on Merseyside in what is the busiest week of the year for gigs and Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has the details.
Well, after a few quiet weeks on the local gig front we hope you’ve enjoyed the respite because this week is an absolute mammoth and easily the busiest of the year.
With two festivals set to bring our city alive this weekend, it really is all happening. BBC 6 Music Festival takes over the city and along with our local treasure that is the Threshold Festival, which is set to light up The Baltic Triangle.
Without reeling off any superlatives, quite simply, it’s a week not to miss for all of you music lovers out there.
Along with the main attractions includes a slew Festival Fringe events which are taking place around our favourite venues of the city. Do check them out, including the closing party at Jacaranda Phase One.
I think we’re all set, then. From all of us here at Getintothis we part with the following message:
Be safe. Look after each other. And, above all, we implore you to have loads of fun!
Our picks this week.
BBC Music Introducing presents…: Cavern Club, Thursday March 28
As a part of the build up to the 6 Music Festival, BBC Music Introducing presents a special one-off gig at the Cavern Club, hosted by BBC 6 Music’s Tom Robinson along with Dave Monks.
The line-up includes The Mysterines, Zuzu, Queen Zee and the Red Rum Club. Thursday’s always a good night in Liverpool and being on the eve of the 6 Music Festival, it’s not bad way to kick things off, is it?
BBC 6 Music Festival Fringe presents Eggy Showcase: Sound Food and Drink, Friday March 29
Those Eggy rascals are at it again – this time in conjunction with BBC 6 Music at the spiritual home of Eggy Records, Sound Food and Drink.
Threshold Festival of Music & Arts 2019, Liverpool Friday March 29 and Saturday March 30
Supported by BBC Festival Fringe, the Threshold Festival of Music & Arts returns for its eighth successive year on The Baltic Triangle.
If you don’t fancy trekking from one end of the city to the other for 6 Music, then we say this is your ticket.
SPQR: Arts Club, Loft, Friday March 29
As a part of the BBC Festival Fringe, local art-punk trio, SPQR, play the Arts Club Loft on the back of their new single, Our Mother’s Sons.
Following on from 2018 singles, Blood Pump and Slowly, Our Mother’s Sons continues the upward trajectory for SPQR. Good one brewing here, folks.
BBC 6 Music by Night: Mountford Hall, Friday March 29
There’s no need to keep daydreaming at work. The big day is here!
What initially looked to be a nice easer of an opening night of the 6 Music Festival has turned into a bit of chaos thanks to 6 Music adding the formidable John Grant to the line-up. We don’t mind that at all!
BBC 6 Music by Night: Eventim Olympia, Friday March 29
Friday at the Olympia looks like one not to miss and kicks off 6 Music Festival in fine fashion.
Like your operatic indie rock? Anna Calvi has you covered. Following on from last year’s brilliant performance at the Birkenhead Library, Bodega return to the city. And last but not least we have everyone’s favourite local success story, She Drew The Gun. What. A. Night.
Parr Street Introduces 6 Music Festival: Studio 2 Parr Street, Saturday March 30
Parr Street isn’t missing out on this 6 Music business, either, showcasing some of Liverpool’s finest local talent.
BBC 6 Music by Day: Camp and Furnace, Saturday March 30
The daytime festivities kick off at the Camp and Furnace and what a day it will be (if you’ve got a ticket, mind).
Suffice to say, there’s plenty on, which all kicks off from 11am, concluding around 5pm. The line-up includes The Coral, BC Camplight, The Comet Is Coming along with interviews with Craig Charles and Matt Everitt, Little Simz and Lauren Laverne, IDLES and Steve Lamacq and much more.
BBC 6 Music by Night: Eventim Olympia, Saturday March 30
Arguably the biggest night of the festival is Saturday at the Olympia.
The Good, The Bad & The Queen headline the night ahead of their show in the same venue later in the year. Irish folkster, Villagers, local electro champs, Stealing Sheep, and – of course -the rip-roaring social conscience rockers, IDLES, round out the line-up.
BBC 6 Music by Night: Mountford Hall, Saturday March 30
Didn’t score tickets to the above? That’s a shame. Never mind…
That’s cool, we’re still here and so is Jon Hopkins! If we were you we’d be breaking a leg to get here ASAP. If you haven’t guessed, we here at Getintothis kind of like Jon. Support is provided by Little Simz and Slowthai. Beats forthcoming.
BBC 6 Music by Day: Camp and Furnace, Sunday March 31
What a day this is. The names speak for themselves, really.
Without further ado, the line-up looks a little bit like this. Local heroes, Julian Cope and Clinic, Aussie songstress, Julia Jacklin, Geordie primal rockers, Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs, Gaika, Roger McGough along with interviews Cope and Mark Radcliffe, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Amy Lamé, plus much more.
BBC 6 Music by Night: Mountford Hall, Sunday March 31
Closing night at the Mountford Hall and in true fashion, it won’t disappoint.
BBC 6 Music Festival Fringe Closing Party: Jacaranda Phase One, Sunday March 31
Everyone loves a closing party right? Even better, along with Dig Vinyl, Probe Records, Liverpool Music Week, Sound City, Kazimier, Mellowtone and Liverpool Acoustic, we here at Getintothis have a hand in running this treehouse! Better still, it’s free!
Everything else this week:
- Parrjazz presents The Deportees: Jacaranda Phase One, Tuesday March 26
- BBC 6 Music Festival Fringe present Skeleton Key: Jacaranda Phase One, Wednesday March 27
- Sports Team: Sound Food and Drink, Thursday Mar 28
- Bido Lito! Social w/ Yank Scally + friends: The Shipping Forecast, Thursday March 28
- Touts: Studio 2 Parr St, Thursday March 28 Inhaler support
- BBC 6 Music Festival Fringe: Craft Taproom, Thursday March 28 – Pete Bentham and The Dinnerladies, Sheepy, Swingin Bricks, Hannah’s Little Sister
- Paris Youth Foundation: Jacaranda Phase One, Friday March 29
- FRANKIE STEW and HARVEY GUNN: EBGB’s, Friday, March 29
- This Feeling: The Zanzibar, Friday March 29
- Keywest: O2 Academy, Friday March 29
- BBC 6 Music Festival Fringe: Craft Taproom, Friday March 29 a Liverpool Noise presents Pleasure Island, Thunder and the Giants, The DSM IV plus more
- BBC 6 Music Festival Fringe presents Merseyrail Sound Live, Friday March 29 (from 3pm)
- BBC 6 Music Festival Fringe presents Discwoman: Volvox, Ciel & Juana: 24 Kitchen Street, Friday March 29
- BBC 6 Music late: Invisible Wind Factory, Friday March 29 featuring DJ sets from 2manydjs, Erol Alkan, Max Cooper, Nemone, Breakwave
- BBC 6 Music late: Invisible Wind Factory, Saturday March 30 featuring Craig Charles DJ set, Renegade Brass Band, Elliot Hutchinson (Dig Vinyl) DJ set
- The Wonder Pot X Archive presents – Kornel Kovacs: 24 Kitchen Street Saturday March 30
- Annexe the Moon, The High Rip: 81 Renshaw, Saturday March 30
- Tiger Twins: The Zanzibar, Saturday March 30
- BBC 6 Music Festival Fringe: Craft Taproom, Saturday March 30 – Cheap Thrills, Alessi’s Ark, Primyl Vinyl, Flizz
- Nick Harper – 58 Fordwych Road: Philharmonic Music Room, Saturday March 30
- BBC 6 Music by Night: Eventim Olympia, Sunday March 31 featuring Hot Chip, The Cinematic Orchestra, Chali 2NA & Krafty Kuts, Jungle
- Benjamin Francis Leftwich: Leaf, Sunday March 31
- BBC 6 Music Festival Fringe: Craft Taproom, Sunday March 31 Jules from Liquidation