Another week is upon us and with it comes another swathe of gigs, and Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has all the details.
It’s be a decent week around Merseyside. Not withstanding the shitty weather, of course.
As for the out of towners – well, the pick of last week’s bunch had to be Our Girl who produced a stellar performance at Phase One.
As for everything else? Well, it was goodbye sunshine and let normal service in March resume. The lovely weather didn’t last long, did it?
Gigs can only be the big winner where awful weather is concerned. After all, we can’t have you walking your dog around Sefton Park at all hours as the sun shines through the trees. There are bands you need to see and venues that need your patronage. With that in mind, we support drab weather – any excuse to escape from the rain to enjoy a drink and watch some live music.
Here’s our top picks for this week.
Natalie and the Monarchy: EBGB’s, Monday March 11
The week starts off in rollicking fashion with Natalie and the Monarchy bringing some fire and brimstone to EBGB’s with the pre-launch of their brand new EP.
Support comes from Evil Pink Machine, The One Hundred Club and Daisy Starspeed.
The Wailers: O2 Academy, Wednesday March 13
The band will no doubt be playing all the hits from 1972 to 1980 in what is undoubtedly the nostalgic gig of the week.
Low Island: Jacaranda Phase One, Friday March 15
Oxford four-piece, Low Island, stop by on Seel Street in support of their new single, In Person.
The band are touring nationally and return to Merseyside for a night not to be missed for all you devotees of electro guitar pop.
Kick.Out #12 featuring – Dead Naked Hippies, Hannah and The Wick Effect, Uncle Jane, Flamingo House: The Jacaranda Club, Friday March 15
Kick.Out returns for its twelfth addition and the line-ups continue to get better as each one passes.
The Dead Naked Hippies headline the event with worthy supports from Liverpool’s answer to Courtney Barnett in Hannah and The Wick Effect, the druggy psych of Uncle Jane and up and comers, Flamingo House. See you there, folks!
Kristin Hersh: The Music Room, Philharmonic Hall, Saturday March 16
After just over two years since her last visit, former Throwing Muses frontwoman, Kristin Hersh, is back in support of her latest album from last year, Possible Dust Clouds.
Hersh is renown for interweaving covers and a few Throwing Muses classics into her set, so you could say this one is for ears both new and nostalgic.
The Racket: Sound Food and Drink, Saturday March 16
Widness four piece, The Racket, finish up their six date UK tour with a show at Sound Food and Drink.
Where Sound is concerned, the pizza’s good, the beer’s good and the company’s good. Fair chance that The Racket will be good, too. Support comes from The Left Backs and The Sway.
Neon Waltz: Jacaranda Phase One, Sunday, March 17
Scottish blues-psych heads, Neon Waltz, are set to warm the cockles of your heart this Sunday night.
Having released their single, The Stranger Things, last year, a new album seems to be in the offing this year, which will be the follow up to their 2017 release, Stranger Hymns.
Sarah Darling: Leaf, Sunday March 17
Anywhere you need to be on Sunday? Good, because country songstress, Sarah Darling, will be playing the Leaf, so escape the last hit of winter and get involved.
Darling arrives in Liverpool on the back of her fifth album, Wonderland, which was released on March 1. This one is a nice way to round off the week.
The best of the rest.
- Newton Faulkner: Jacaranda Records Phase One, Tuesday March 12
- Parrjazz presents the Jessica Radcliffe group: Heebie Jeebies, Tuesday March 12
- Unglued, Bermuda: 24 Kitchen Street, Wednesday March 13
- Club Bad: Melé & Benji B: 24 Kitchen Street, Thursday March 14
- The Wonder Pot X Modu:lar w/ Nicolas Lutz: 24 Kitchen Street, Friday March 15
- The Slow Readers Club: Arts Club, Friday March 15
- Joanne Shaw Taylor: O2 Academy2, Friday March 15
- Big Condo Presents Vivid: The Port Of Liverpool Bar, Friday March 15
- Dantevilles: EBGBS, Friday March 15 (Support: Nocturnal Coast, Factory, Caveparty)
- Ady Suleiman: Arts Club, Saturday March 16
- Damien Dempsey with Ian Prowse: O2 Academy2, Saturday March 16
- Only Sun: Studio 2 Parr Street, Saturday March 16
- Augmented presents Objekt All Night & GiGi FM: 24 Kitchen Street, Saturday March 16
- Hell’s Addiction + Guests: EBGB’s, Saturday March 16
- THE SHUNT, The Higherside, Marmalade: District, Friday March 15
- This Feeling: Jacaranda Phase One, Saturday March 16
- 10cc: Philharmonic Hall, Saturday March 16
- Sonny Fodera: The Invisible Wind Factory, Saturday March 16
- Aaron Ellis: The Zanzibar, Saturday March 16
- Parrjazz presents Lucy Lockwood: Ma Boyle’s, Saturday March 16