While Easter weekend is upon so are a slew of great gigs and Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has you covered with the details.
With the shenanigans of Record Store Day behind us, we hope your finances haven’t been wounded too badly.
Many are sceptical about RSD and while many people’s concerns are validated, on the flipside it’s good that people are actually having the conversation about a physical product that presents the thing we all love: music.
Speaking of receding finances, we haven’t forgotten about Easter, either.
If you’re like us, there’s a mad scramble around the Tesco aisles on Easter Sunday, hungover, as you can pick up the obligatory eggs which have been reduced in price by about fifty percent.
There’s plenty going on in the way of gigs in the lead up to the Easter weekend.
The Tirzah gig at Kitchen Street looks a good shout, while Idlewild return in what looks set to be a decent night for your Good Friday.
The pick of this week’s action…
Bloxx: Jacaranda Phase One, Wednesday April 17
The midweek pick-me-up you all need comes in the way of London’s Bloxx.
The four-piece hit Jac’ Phase One on the back of their brand spanking new EP, Headspace. Looks like a wild one, this.
Tirzah: 24 Kitchen Street, Wednesday April 17
London’s Tirzah lands on Kitchen Street on the back of her brilliant 2018 album, Devotion.
A purveyor of modern day R&B with the addition of ambient inflections, this one’s shaping up as perhaps the gig of the week. Another fine coup for 24 Kitchen Street.
Schande, Careering, Good Grief, Mean Jean: Outpost, Wednesday April 17
Here’s a gold nugget for all you post-hardcore heads out there. The Outpost welcomes riffs to the sky on Wednesday night.
London based trio via San Francisco, Schande, return to the city and will be supported by Manchester quintet, Careering, local shredders, Good Grief and the long awaited return of Mean Jean.
The Good, The Bad & The Queen: O2 Academy Liverpool, Thursday April 18.
Please note that this one has been shifted from the Olympia to the O2 Academy. We can’t have you turning up to the wrong venue, can we!
Girli: The Zanzibar, Thursday April 18
London rapper, Girli (aka Milly Toomey) arrives in Liverpool on the back of her largest UK tour to date.
Released last week, Girli‘s new album, Odd One Out, packs some punch and will no doubt have The Zanzibar bouncing.
Idlewild: Grand Central Hall, Friday April 19
Scotland’s Idlewild put the “r” in rock on your Good Friday at the Grand Central Hall.
On the back of their underrated new long-player, Interview Music, this one has all the hallmarks to be something special. We’ll see you there!
John Head: Studio2 Parr Street, Saturday April 20
Is John Head back? Well, it seems that way!
The Pale Fountains and Shack songwriter will be playing at Studio2 Parr Street to much anticipation.
His last involvement committed to tape was in 2012 on Sandband‘s When We Kiss, so to say this is an auspicious occasion is an understatement. Happy Easter!
What else is on:
- Dave: O2 Academy Liverpool, Wednesday April 17
- The Americas: EBGBS, Wednesday April 17
- Little Thief, Gallia, Nicola Hardman: 81 Renshaw, Wednesday April 17
- Figure Flows: 24 Kitchen Street, Thursday April 18
- Johnny Dowd plus support: 81 Renshaw, Thursday April 18
- Simon and Oscar (Ocean Colour Scene): Leaf On Bold Street, Thursday April 18
- whenyoung: Arts Club, Loft, Friday April 19
- SLP Presents Saint Ivy with Cow, La Scala, Great Waves: The Jacaranda Club, Friday April 19
- Little Triggers plus special guests: EBGB’s, Saturday April 20
- The Dissident: The Zanzibar Club, Saturday April 20
- UB40 + Special Guests – 40th Anniversary: Eventim Olympia, Saturday April 20
- Music For The Jilted Generation – CALM Fundraiser: 24 Kitchen Street, Saturday April 20
- Friendly Fires (dj set): 24 Kitchen Street, Sunday April 21