On the back of hectic week in gig-land, there’s still plenty to whet the palate and Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has all the details.
We hope you’re enjoying your bank holiday weekend, whatever it is you have chosen to do.
Both Sound City and Smithdown Road festivals have provided us with plenty of grand memories thus far and if you’re undecided on what to do today, we urge you partake in either one of these events (or both!).
Suffice to say, when the good times roll there’s always the come down. Not the end, of course. Just a lull, and while this week’s a touch quieter on the gig front, there’s still some gems to unearth. The Drahla gig looks to be an interesting proposition, while independent luminary, Calvin Johnson, makes a rare visit to our beautiful city, too.
Whatever your poison, we hope the busy week that’s passed has stirred up the inner gig beast in you. Get involved!
The pick of this week’s gigs.
SPINN: Jacaranda Phase One, Monday May 6
On the back of their Sound City performances, local dream pop merchants, SPINN, will play the Jac Phase One in support of their brand new debut self-titled LP which was released on Friday.
Yes, you guessed it. This one’s an in-store, and will probably be one of the more busier affairs, so don’t sleep on this. Get your ticket.
Dboy: Sound Food and Drink, Tuesday May 7
The elusive three-piece collective that is Dboy are set to unleash carnage within the confines of Sound Food and Drink.
On the back of their Prove Your Love – Live! In Belem album, which was released last year, this show will rate a ten for fun factor. It’ll be sweaty, rocking, and just plain boss.
Drahla: Jacaranda Phase One, Wednesday May 8
Leeds post-punk outfit, Drahla, hit town on the back of their debut album, Useless Coordinates, released last Friday on the great Captured Tracks label.
A great night is brewing here, folks, with support from everyone’s favourite locals, Eyesore & The Jinx, and Sleep Eaters.
Space: Jacaranda Records Phase One, Friday May 10
Alt-rock veterans, Space, liven up your Friday night with a show at Jac’ Phase One.
There will be plenty of nostalgia in the room for this one. There’s also likely to be some airing of new material with band releasing two singles last year, Zombies and Metropolis.
W.H. Lung: The Shipping Forecast, Saturday May 11
Manchester’s W.H. Lung arrive in town on the back of their much talked about new long-player, Incidental Music. Support is provided by Strawberry Guy.
It will be interesting to see how their songs translate live and with much hype currently surrounding the band, this one is shaping up to be our gig of the week.
Calvin Johnson: Lovelocks Coffee Shop, Sunday May 12
K Records and Beat Happening brains trust, Calvin Johnson, is in town for a very rare performance.
Performing in the intimiate surroundings of Lovelocks Coffee Shop, Johnson tours in support of his 2018 solo album, A Wonderful Beast. Support is provided by Songs For Walter.
The best of the rest:
- Oddisee: 24 Kitchen Street, Monday May 6
- Parrjazz presents The Matthew Read Trio: Jacaranda Phase One, Tuesday May 7
- Lucy Spraggan: Arts Club, Tuesday May 7
- Stanley Brinks & Freschard: 81 Renshaw Wednesday May 8
- Phil Cooper and LG Breton: Sound Food and Drink, Thursday May 9
- Chris Norman The Original Voice Of Smokie: Eventim Olympia, Friday May 10
- LOST Terrace Party: Invisible Wind Factory, Friday May 10
- Thom Morecroft: 81 Renshaw, Friday May 10
- Vortechx presents Shaf Huse & Paradox City: Invisible Wind Factory Substation, Friday May 10
- Ego States: The Jacaranda, Friday March 10
- Horse Meat Disco Summer Yard Party: 24 Kitchen Street, Saturday May 11
- Marco Faraone (Drumcode) – Insomnia X Before Dawn: Hangar 34, Saturday May 11
- Soul Train #3 featuring Nikki & The Waves, Leora, Brood & KingFast: Jacaranda Phase One, Saturday May 11
- ME and Deboe w/ support: 81 Renshaw, Saturday May 11
- Artmagic with Mike West and The Buffalo Riot: Outpost, Sunday May 12
- Strings and Things: – FT Full House, Maddie Stenberg plus more: Studio2 Parr Street, Sunday