Storms and cold weather tells us winter is coming and with it so are the gigs, as Getintothis’ Simon Kirk shares details of this week’s happenings.
So, that’s week one of October down. Cold, wet and Brexit inches closer. Good times…
We’re sure many of you are the same. There’s just too much to the point where tour scheduling should be scattered more evenly throughout the year. That’s for another day.
Last week was decent, not least our Deep Cuts night which saw two emerging talents in the Hammerhead Snails and Abby Meysenberg own the night. We urge you to take a listen at your earliest opportunity.
Then there’s the Smithdown Festival All Dayer taking place at the Handyman and The Craft Taproom on Saturday. It’s free and Eyesore & The Jinx are playing. What more could you want?
We’ll leave you to decide where the gig path takes you.
The pick of this week’s action:
Creep Show: Arts Club, Sunday October 6
The project (which includes former Cabaret Voltaire frontman, Stephen Mallinder) released their debut album, Mr Dynamite last year to glowing reviews. No better way to quell the Sunday blues than right here, folks.
Richard Hawley: Mountford Hall, Tuesday October 8
Sheffield song-smith, the spell-binding Richard Hawley, returns to the city on the back of his brand new and critically lauded album, Further.
Tickets are hard to come by for this one (we think it may be sold out), but it’s Liverpool and people are kind. Ask around and you may just be rewarded for your efforts.
Jesca Hoop: Leaf, Tuesday October 8
Experimental folk artist, Jesca Hoop, is back and is set to warm hearts at Leaf on Tuesday night.
The American songstress is back with her brilliant new album, Stonechild – her fifth. Those of you who missed out on Hawley tickets – have no fear. Leaf is the place be.
XamVolo: Studio2 Parr Street, Thursday October 10
Recently locating to London, XamVolo returns to Merseyside for an intimate show at Studio2 Parr Street.
His debut album, All the Sweetness on the Surface, was released earlier this year and will no doubt feature in our end of year albums and many other peoples, we’re sure.
There’s also an Orielles DJ set on the night.
Pulled Apart By Horses: Jacaranda Phase One, Thursday October 10
Leeds rockers, Pulled Apart By Horses, are back on the scene, road testing material for a new album that is said to be released next year.
The band’s last record was 2017’s The Haze, so perhaps this is your chance to hear the band play some new material before most others do.
Just Mustard: Arts Club, Loft, Friday October 11
After their brilliant set at Sound City earlier this year, Irish shoegazers, Just Mustard, return for a headline show at the Arts Club Loft.
With their new single, Seven, just released which follows tracks, October and Frank, a new album is forthcoming and having recently seen this outfit shred at Primavera, we urge you to spend your Friday night in Just Mustard‘s company.
Support is provided by Pillow Queens.
False Heads, Vile Assembly plus more: Jacaranda Phase One, Friday October 11
A night for all you guitar heads out there. Led by London three piece, False Heads, the rest of the bill is decent, too, led by Livepool’s Vile Assembly, who have been hitting it out of the park of late.
The rest of the line-up consists of Nana White Pepper, Skinner’s Lane, Deh-Yey, Bird Shoes and Rivia.
What else is on this week:
- Good Cop Bad Cop: Jacaranda Phase One, Monday October 7
- Fat-suit: EBGBs, Tuesday October 8
- Tigress: Jacaranda Phase One, Tuesday October 8
- DLR #003: Gender Roles (BSM) + support: Kazimier Stockroom, Wednesday October 9
- Lubomyr Melnyk: The Music Room, Philharmonic Hall, Wednesday October 9
- UB40 40th Anniversary: Eventim Olympia, Wednesday October 9
- Ibibio Sound Machine: The Invisible Wind Factory, Thursday October 10
- Ben Ottewell: Leaf, Thursday October 10
- Bicurious: The Shipping Forcast, Thursday October 10
- Look Mum No Computer: Sound Food and Drink, Thursday October 10
- CherryBomb: Arts Club, Thursday October 10
- Willy Porter: Casa, Thursday October 10
- Giant Rooks: Jimmy’s Liverpool, Friday October 11
- Swim Deep: District, Friday October 11
- Sick Joy: EBGB’s, Friday October 11
- Rum Riddimz Run 007: 24 Kitchen Street, Friday October 11
- Curse Of Lono: 81 Renshaw Street, Friday October 11
- Bushes: The Jacaranda Club, Friday October 11
- Kawala: Sound Food and Drink, Friday October 11
- Coast to Coast & Luke Rainsford: The Zanzibar Club, Friday October 11
- Strawberry Guy: Kazimier Stockroom, Friday October 11
- Dylan John Thomas: The Shipping Forecast, Friday October 11
- The Sway: Sound Food and Drink, Saturday October 12
- Smithdown Festival All Dayer: Craft Taproom, Handyman, Saturday October 12
- Bang Bang Romeo: EBGBS, Saturday October 12
- WAH – Hybrid Minds/ Kings Of The Rollers/ Benny L/ North Base: Invisible Wind Factory, Saturday October 12
- Layton Giordani, Pirate Copy, Tony Hughes & more: Arts Club, Saturday October 12
- Kanadia + Flizz, Juniper Nights, Bisch Nadar: The Shipping Forecast, Saturday October 12
- Parrjazz presents Modjango: Ma Boyles Saturday October 12
- Roy Orbison Buddy Holly (The Hologram Tour): M&S Bank Arena, Saturday October 12
- Easy Life: O2 Academy 2, Sunday October 13