The cold and wet weather has hit but kicking against the winter is a slew of gigs and Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has the details.
Well, for this writer thank heavens for the Reds because there’s not much else to celebrate in these parts at the minute. Yes, I’m talking about the atrocious weather. After all, it beats talking about Brexit, doesn’t it? Maybe only just.
Not that this writer should qualify to talk about British weather (deriving from foreign climes and being a resident wool n’ all), however there’s a feeling that it’s going to be a cold winter. Very cold indeed.
Let’s look on the bright side, though. We have plenty of new music to look forward to (from next week, maybe we should start focusing on that more?). Plus, of course, we have gigs.
With Halloween and Bonfire Night out of out the way, it’s smooth sailing towards the year’s end.
There’s some cracking gigs scheduled this week, with Black Lips seemingly topping the list. Mahalia looks a good shout at the ‘Wind Factory on Friday night while the venerable 24 Kitchen Street celebrates its 6th birthday on Saturday, which is one you should all get involved with.
So, with that, we say drag your arse off the couch and save some money on your central heating bill by getting out and enjoying some live music.
Be safe and enjoy your week.
Black Lips: Arts Club, Wednesday November 13
Garage rock royalty, Black Lips, are on Merseyside to do what they do best. Shred.
Having recently signed to Vice Records a new record is in the offing for 2020. If you scamper along you may just hear some new earworms.
Bloxx: The Zanzibar, Wednesday November 13
Having successfully completed their US tour earlier this year, Uxbridge scuzzers, Bloxx return to Liverpool to blow the mould from the Zanzibar.
The band’s new single, Go Out With You, has just been released with a debut album expected for released next year.
Steve Mason: The Invisible Wind Factory, Wednesday November 13
Having recently relocated from Scotland to Brighton, Mason seems reinvigorated these days and suffice to say, this gig is going to be one of the finest this week.
Deep Cuts away day part 2: Edge Hill University, Wednesday November 13
It all kicks off from 7pm and here’s the best part. It’s free!
The Regrettes: Arts Club, Thursday November 14
The week for punk continues, this time with Los Angeles’ The Regrettes, who return to the UK with second album, How Do You Love? in the can.
We’re hoping this jaunt is a happier one for the band who had their tour van stolen in Birmingham last year, which contained all of their belongings.
Heavy Lungs: Phase One, Friday November 15
You know that Idles song, Danny Nedelko? Of course you do, you can’t escape it. Anyway, that song was written about the vocalist of this band. Yes, that’s right.
Heavy Lungs make their way up to the promised land of our fine city on the back of their new EP, Measure. Catch these in a small venue while you can. Just saying.
Blue Orchids: 81 Renshaw Street, Saturday November 16
While their last studio album, Righteous Harmony Fist was released last year, the band did release The Magical Record Of Blue Orchids in June this year. According to Bramah, it’s “the first covers concept album”.
Milk Teeth: Sound Food and Drink, Sunday November 17
With a new line-up in tow, punk trailblazers, Milk Teeth, return to the city to bother the frost at Sound Food and Drink on your Sunday night.
The first single, Given Up, is from their forthcoming album, which is set for release early next year. It follows 2016’s Vile Child. Going to be loud, this one, so if you like your riffs, look no further.
The best of the rest this week:
- The Wave Pictures: Phase One, Monday, November 11
- Hugh Cornwell: Arts Club, Tuesday November 12
- Parrjazz presents Rob Stringer: The Jacaranda Club, Tuesday November 12
- False Advertising in-Store show/album signing: Phase One, Tuesday November 12
- The Grand Opry Sessions #3: Phase One, Wednesday November 13
- Eat Me presents Hedwig and the Angry Inch: District, Wednesday November 13
- Krooked Tongue: EBGBS, Wednesday November 13
- KÆlan Mikla: Studio2 Parr Street, Wednesday November 13
- The Ninth Wave: Sound Food and Drink, Wednesday November 13
- The Howl & The Hum, Talkboy: Jimmy’s Wednesday November 13
- Larkins: The Zanzibar, Thursday November 14
- Matt Maltese in-store show/album signing: Phase One, Thursday November 14
- Natacha Atlas: Capstone Theatre, Thursday November 14
- Blurred Bagel Presets #2 featuring Aaron Ellis & Friends, Manzana Mañana, Oranj Son, Full House: The Jacaranda, Thursday November 14
- Chris Helme (The Seahorses): Smithdown Social Club, Friday November 15
- Emilio Pinchi EP launch: 81 Renshaw Street, Friday November 15
- Boston Manor: O2 Academy2, Friday November 15
- Mahalia: The Invisible Wind Factory, Friday November 15
- Witchtripper: EBGBs, Friday November 15
- Cousin Kula: Sound Food and Drink, Friday November 15
- Elder Island: The Invisible Wind Factory, Saturday November 16
- 24 Kitchen Street 6th Birthday w/ Or:la plus more: 24 Kitchen Street, Saturday November 16
- Reggae Got Soul ft. Daddy G (Massive Attack): District, Saturday November 16
- Parrjazz presents Crab: Ma Boyles, Saturday November 16
- Big Condo Presents Last Fish in the Tank playoffs – round 1: Outpost, Saturday November 16
- Emeli Sande: Philharmonic Hall, Saturday November 16
- The Macc Lads: O2 Academy, Saturday November 16
- Buck & Evans: Jimmy’s, Saturday November 16
- We Three Kings: EBGBS, Saturday November 16
- The Christians: Cavern Club, Sunday November 17
- White Little Lies EP launch: Studio2 Parr Street, Sunday November 17
- Chris Wood: Ullet Road Unitarian Church, Sunday November 17