Glastonbury 2020 cancelled due to coronavirus – read Michael and Emily Eavis’ full statement

0

Glastonbury 2019

Glastonbury 2020 has been cancelled, Getintothis’ Lewis Ridley reports.

Glastonbury 2020 has been cancelled due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Organisers announced this morning (March 18) that the 50th anniversary of the festival will be a forced fallow year.

Micahel and Emily Eavis said that: “Tickets for this year will roll over to next year. “

Emily Eavis revealed the full line up on Friday with headliner Kendrick Lemar and Thom Yorke added to the final billing.

Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift were the other headliners for this special 50th edition – but following mass cancellations of music industry and entertainment events (including Premier and Football League matches) it was always likely the entire festival maybe postponed.

SupergrassLana Del Rey and AJ Tracey were also due to play.

Coronavirus Liverpool: 24 Kitchen Street temporary closure plus all latest gig postponements

They added: “Clearly this was not a course of action we hoped to take for our 50th anniversary event, but following the new government measures announced this week – and in times of such unprecedented uncertainty – this is now our only viable option.

The statement comes after the first full wave of acts was unveiled last week, led by headliners Kendrick Lamar, Taylor Swift and Paul McCartney. At that point, the festival vowed to carry on in the hope that the virus crisis would improve.

Grand National 2020 called off due to coronavirus

In the statement, festival organisers also said the mammoth effort in setting up the event would prove impossible in the current climate.

They also confirmed that current ticket-holders will be given the opportunity to roll over their £50 deposit to guarantee a spot at next year’s event.

 

Comments

comments

Share.

Leave a Reply

naproxen