It’s the tail end of the year and while there is a smaller matter of an election this week, Getintothis’ Simon Kirk still has all of your gig news.
Election. Yes, the week is upon us.
If we’re honest, we don’t feel like talking about much this week. End of year lists. Breaking news about shitty weather or what’s trending at John Lewis this Christmas. Rod fucking Stewart or Razor fucking light. Any of it.
The news of Kitchen Street‘s future was enough to put a downer on things last week.
This decision all stems from the top of political food chain. Corporate interests outweighing civic vitality. Whatever lines the pockets, right? That’s the smell of it, anyway.
Then there’s the election. What the fuck is going to happen to this country? Let’s not think about the future just yet. Only the present and with that, we say get out and vote. Please.
We’re not going to sit here and tell you whom it is you should vote for. Anyone with a moral compass knows, so we won’t insult your intelligence.
Please. Just get out of the house and vote.
The pick of this week’s action:
D-Block Europe: O2 Academy, Wednesday December 11
Releasing two mixtapes this year to go along with last year’s debut, Any Minute Now, London hip-hop duo, D-Block Europe are gaining a groundswell of attention.
Home Alone and their latest mix tape, PTSD have infiltrated the charts and next year D-Block‘s music will infiltrate the households of many, we think. Big year coming for these lads.
Echobelly: Arts Club, Wednesday December 11
The duo of Sonya Madan and Glenn Johansson known to us as Echobelly hit the Arts Club for a night of stripped back interpretations of Echobelly ditties from yesteryear.
While prominent figures in the Britpop era, Echobelly did emerge with 2017’s Anarchy and Alchemy – quite the departure from the band’s beginnings.
Stealing Sheep: Kazimier Stockroom, Wednesday 11, Thursday 12, Friday 13, Saturday 14 December
It’s been a massive year for Stealing Sheep and they end it with a four night residency at the brilliant Kazimier Stockroom.
Not been to the Kaz Stockroom yet? There’s a capacity of about 50. Yup, and the Stealers will be playing their four nights on the trot. Christmas is coming. Treat yourself.
The Tea Street Band: Hangar34, Friday December 13
Local veterans and all around good blokes, The Tea Street Band, finish up a short run of dates up and down the country with a show at Hangar34.
The band released their latest album, Frequency last year. New year. New album? Who knows. This will be boss, though.
Hobo Johnson & The Lovemakers: Eventim Olympia, Friday December 13
Following their summer festivals appearances across the UK, Sacramento, CA alternative hip-hop artist, Hobo Johnson and his band, The LoveMakers, return to play Olympia.
Johnson (real name, Frank Lopes Jr) is here in support of his latest long-player, The Fall of Hobo Johnson, which was released in September
Blurred Bagel #3: Outpost, Saturday December 14
Blurred Bagel returns for it’s third instalment in what looks to be the place to be this Saturday night.
The line-up features local psychsters, The Floormen, everyone’s local favouritre jazz rockers Samurai Kip, Shallow Waters, and up and coming shredders from Ormskirk, Hammerhead Snails. Good value here, people. Good value indeed.
The best of the rest this week:
- Neon Waltz: The Zanzibar, Monday December 9
- Childcare: Sound Food and Drink, Tuesday December 10
- Rod Stewart: M&S Bank Arena, Tuesday December 10
- Parrjazz presents Magpie Trio: The Jacaranda Club, Tuesday December 10
- The Paper Kites: Arts Club, Loft, Tuesday December 10
- Razorlight: Liverpool Uni Mountford Hall, Tuesday December 10
- Kyle Falconer: Phase One, Wednesday December 11
- Into The Woodlands #4: Studio2 Parr Street, Wednesday December 11
- Dirty Hit Tour: Arts Club, Loft, Thursday December 12
- Happy Accidents presents Northern Revelation, Cold Comforts, SYFTA, Become The Sky: The Jacaranda, Thursday December 12
- Bizarre Ride, The Pharcyde: The Invisible Wind Factory, Friday December 13
- Dermot Kennedy: Liverpool Uni Mountford Hall, Friday December 13
- Scouting For Girls: O2 Academy, Friday December 13
- Nocturnal Coast: The Zanzibar Club, Friday December 13
- Ian Prowse & Amsterdam: O2 Academy Liverpool, Saturday December 14
- Natalie McCool: Arts Club, Loft, Liverpool. Saturday December 14
- Melé presents Club Bad with Point G: 24 Kitchen Street, Saturday December 14
- Bizou\\: The Shipping Forecast, Saturday December 14
- Parrjazz presents Modjango: Ma Boyles: Saturday December 14
- The Blackjacks: 81 Renshaw, Saturday December 14
- The Higherside: EBGB’s, Saturday December 14
- Ambedo Blue Zanzibar: The Zanzibar, Saturday December 14
- Phase One Christmas Party featuring Samurai Kip, Blurred Sun Band, Ranga, Lime Djs: Phase One, Sunday December 15
- The Blank Tapes: Sound Basement, Sunday December 15