Independent Music Week welcomes a swathes of up and coming talent perform across the city and Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has you covered with the details.
There are no excuses for the week ahead.
After last week’s Deep Cuts event at Phase One, which was an absolute barnstorming night, those in attendance should have developed the necessary itch to get out and see a few more gigs and what better way to follow-up than with Independent Venue Week.
We’ll admit, this week’s guide has a bit of crossover with our IVW feature and for the full details on what’s around, hit up our Independent Venue Week guide.
There are few other bits and pieces around as we say goodbye to the first month of 2020 (went quick, didn’t it?), and we think the Arts Club on Monday night might be a winner with Sleep Token rolling into town.
Whatever your week holds, make sure it involves at least one of these gigs. We say it every year, but the message seems to be getting sharper, for the situation is as critical as ever (do we really need to spell it out?)
In a turbulent time where small businesses continue to be squeezed out by multi-nationals and live venues face the threat of existence courtesy of lurking property developers, the flow-on effect from these factors is massive.
So, the message from us is pretty clear. Get along and support your local independent venues and the artists performing in these very venues. Both venues and artists need us more than ever so, please, get involved.
The pick of this week’s action.
Sleep Token: Arts Club, Monday, January 27
London’s masked anonymous post-rock collective, Sleep Token, kick-off the week at the Arts Club.
The band tours in support of their new album, Sundowning, which was released in November last year. You never know, there may be an unmasking. Or not.
The Heavy North: Phase One, Monday, January 27
Blues-rock scuzzers, The Heavy North, are back in town kicking off the IVW out Getintothis’ HQ, Phase One.
With support provided by The Sway, Pleasure Island and Wigan four-piece R I VV E R. there will be a few heads in here so get in early.
Ali Horn: Handyman, Thursday, January 30
The man of the moment, Ali Horn, continues his ascendency with yet another performance, this time at the Handyman.
This one’s an acoustic set with support provided by Matt McManamon Music (formerly The Dead 60s), and Ben Burke.
Silent K: Liverpool Handyman, Friday January 31
Safari Park punks (Getintothis’ Steven Doherty‘s words, not mine), Silent K are set to light up Smithdown Road on Friday night the Handyman.
Eli Smart: Some Place, Friday, January 31
Up and coming talent, Eli Smart will be putting smiles on faces at Some Place on Friday night.
Having played our Deep Cuts event last February, Smart is certainly one to watch in 2020.
Poison Point: Kazimier Stockroom, Friday, January 31
French industrial collective, Poison Point, are set to avoid some ear-splitting noise on your Friday night at the Kaz’ Stockroom.
Egyptian Blue, Sinead O’Brien: Birkenhead Library, Sunday, February 2
It’s a big year for the Brighton collective, who are set to play their biggest headline show to date at The Lexington in London this March.
Astles: Liverpool Some Place, Sunday, February 2
Local song-smith, Astles, will culminate proceedings for IVW in Liverpool with a full band set at Some Place.
This show will follow Astles‘ headline shows in London, Leeds & Sheffield.
What else is on this week:
- Henrio: Liverpool Some Place, Monday January 27
- VEXED & Godeater: The Jacaranda, Monday January 27
- Valeras: Sound Basement, Tuesday January 28
- Avalanche Party plus special guests: Phase One, Tuesday January 28
- Nine Foot Brian: Heebie Jeebies, Tuesday January 28
- Maddie Stenberg: Craft Taproom, Tuesday January 28
- Amelia Wallace: Some Place, Tuesday January 28
- DJ Zinc: 24 Kitchen Street, Wednesday January 29
- The Interrupters: O2 Academy, Wednesday January 29
- Munkey Junkey: Some Place, Wednesday January 29
- Parapet: The Zanzibar, Wednesday January 29
- Roam: Phase One, Thursday January 30
- Emma Skau Love You Less single launch: Studio 2 Parr Street, Thursday January 30
- Blackwaters: EBGB’s, Thursday January 30
- The Wonder Pot x Watt Hz?: Hector Oaks: 24 Kitchen Street, Friday January 31
- Mai 68: Craft Taproom, Friday January 31
- Woes: Jimmy’s, Friday January 31
- Rhine Valley: The Jacaranda, Friday January 31
- It’s A Rock Out / Idle Lies: Sound Basement, Friday January 31
- The Monochrome Set: Jimmy’s, Saturday February 1
- Bedside Manners plus special guests: Phase One, Saturday February 1
- Little Triggers plus special guests: EBGB’s, Saturday February 1
- This Feeling: The Zanzibar, Saturday February 1
- Strings and Things: Studio2 Parr Street, Sunday February 2