At the close of another busy week, here’s Getintothis’ Max Richardson with the top five stories of the week.
Here we are, back once again on yet another Sunday evening with little to occupy ourselves with.
This writer has spent much of the week accompanied by the superb soundtrack of Kraftwerk as a result of the sad passing of Florian Schneider.
Despite being a lover of both electronica and dance music, amazingly they’d somehow managed to pass me by until now – heresy, I know.
Records such as Trans-Europe Express and Tour de France Soundtracks have aged amazingly well, holding up alongside contemporary electronic music with ease, barely sounding dated – surprising given the age of the equipment used.
In other news this week, this writer has been catching up with the much talked about documentary about Michael Jordan, The Last Dance.
While only a couple of episodes in, it’s shaping up to be a great watch.
For those who are interested in basketball it’s a must-watch, and perhaps even for those interested in sport – it’s amazing seeing behind the scenes to understand the political, financial side of the game alongside what’s seen on the court.
The documentary follows the Chicago Bulls‘ season in 1997-1998, coming off the back of two consecutive championship victories. It shows the audience behind the scenes of the end of an era, as it was clear many of the team would be leaving after this season.
Have you been watching or listening to anything interesting this week? We’d love to hear about it – feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Anyway, let’s crack on with what we’re all here for – the Getintothis Top Five:
Getintothis’ top five most-read new music/news-related stories of the week:
- Dawsons Music saved by Manchester entrepreneur from going out of business
- The La’s Lee Mavers picture exclusive – Neuklon and Mavers early days in rock & roll
- By The Sea: The Let Downs – exclusive listen to first new track from Wirral band’s third album
- Lost Liverpool #13: The Beat of Bold Street Part 2, the Mardi Gras and G-Love
- Jamie Webster announces date for debut album We Get By and talks music for the working classes
Getintothis’ top five most-read features of the week:
- Joy Division’s Ian Curtis remembered on the 40th anniversary of his death
- John Peel session archive made available with almost 1,000 sessions so far
- Ween’s White Pepper 20th anniversary: a two finger salute to success
- Life after lockdown: a photographers view on what the future holds after COVID-19
- The Last Dance review: Michael Jordan story isn’t just the TV event of 2020, it’s the greatest sports doc of all-time