December is here and Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has this week’s gig details while trying his best to avoid Chris Rea’s Driving Home for Christmas.
Happy December, folks! The month where nostalgia cashes in (see below, or in fact, above).
The month where you are all pushed into Christmas work dos despite spending the last two months telling yourself “I can’t be arsed with that“. You love it, really.
The month where Chris Rea emerges from his cave to haunt us all.
The month where you think Michael Bublé will do the same. Seems the lad’s race is run. Or is it? Who knows…
Fear not, though, people. Chris Kamara has a Christmas album coming out. Double LP, too, in fact. For this, it might just be worth erecting the Christmas flag after all.
We haven’t quite reached the height of December just yet. There’s still a couple of weeks to cram in some gig goodness and this week, we’ve got plenty of it.
Pick of this week’s action:
Aldous Harding: Arts Club, Wednesday December 4
It might be Derby night, but there are pressing matters down on Seel Street that may attract some well deserved attention. Yes, Hannah Sian Topp, or better known as Aldous Harding, is set to wow all in her ire.
The New Zealand singer-songwriter graces Merseyside in support of her brilliant new album, Designer.
Beak>: Arts Club, Thursday December 5
The Arts Club is jam-packed with goodness this week and on Thursday it arrives in Geoff Barrow‘s brilliant project, Beak>.
Having released the Life Goes On EP earlier this year, it followed last year’s landmark album, >>> which was released last year.
Gig of the week right here.
Thom Morecroft: Studio2 Parr Street, Thursday December 5
Everyone’s favourite local song smith and all round top man, Thom Morecroft, plays Studio2 Parr Street to launch his brand new album, The Feng Shui and the Sushi.
Support on the night comes from ME & Deboe and Charlie McKeon. We’ll see you there.
Deep Cuts: The Telescopes, RongoRongo, Green Tangerines: Phase One, Friday December 6
The band arrives on the back of their latest album, Exploding Head Syndrome and is their first visit back to Liverpool since 2017.
Advance tickets are £10. Buy them here.
Happy Mondays: Mountford Hall, Friday December 6
Is there much more to be said? If this is your bag, then it’s a big bag at that. Enjoy.
The Mysterines: Jimmy’s, Saturday December 7
Local rockers, The Mysterines continuing to cause quite the stir, selling out yet another show, this time at Jimmy‘s.
With their Take Control EP released earlier this year, the band have just released new single, Who’s Ur Girl. We’re expecting their debut album next year.
Support arrives in the way of Buzzard Buzzard Buzzard.
Vetiver: 81 Renshaw, Saturday December 7
Bay Area troubadour, Andy Cabic, brings splendour with his band, Vetiver, to Renshaw Street in which will be quite the intimate affair.
Vetiver tours on the back of new album, Up on High, which has gained many plaudits.
Stay tuned, as Getintothis’ Jamie Bowman recently chatted to Vetiver, with the interview set to drop later this week.
Torche: The Zanzibar, Sunday December 8
Florida shredders, Torche, round off the week with a rare show at The Zanzibar.
Their first show in the city, Torche play in support of their brilliant new long-player, Admission. This will be the best Sunday in a while, we’re sure and for this writer, well, I’ll see you in the mosh pit.
The best of the rest:
- Bleed Someone Dry plus supports: The Jacaranda Club, Monday December 2
- Parrjazz presents The Weave Xmas Special: The Jacaranda Club, Tuesday December 3
- Black Tongue: The Zanzibar Club, Wednesday December 4
- The Wordsmiths: Episode#2: Studio2 Parr Street, Wednesday December 4
- Fickle Friends: Phase One, Thursday December 5
- Eva & The Primera’s: The Jacaranda Club, Thursday December 5
- Kanine, Voltage & Trigga: 24 Kitchen Street, Thursday December 5
- Shed Seven: O2 Academy, Thursday December 5
- The Wonder Pot w/ Len Faki & Charles Green: 24 Kitchen Street, Friday December 6
- Don Powell’s Occasional Flames: 81 Renshaw, Friday December 6
- Inflect Records Presents: Franz Scala Phase One, Friday December 6
- Riskee and the Ridicule: Outpost, Friday December 6
- Polar States: Arts Club, Friday December 6
- Spinn: O2 Academy, Friday December 6
- Band Fest / Night One: EBGB’s, Friday December 6 and Saturday December 7
- Circus Redux / Irene & The Disappointments: Sound Basement, Friday December 6
- La Discotheque: The Invisible Wind Factory, Friday December 6
- Ian Mcnabb & Cold Shoulder: Arts Club, Saturday December 7
- Parrjazz presents Crab: Ma Boyles, Saturday December 7
- Vinnie Caruana: The Shipping Forecast, Sunday December 8