The last week of February covers all bases for gigs and Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has you sorted with the details.
Another week. More gigs and they seem to be getting bigger as each week passes.
Speaking of passing, can you believe it’s almost March?
Yup, life is passing us all by…
Onto gigs and let’s start with the heavy hitter. The 1975 mark their return to Liverpool after five years on the back of their new album. If it’s your bag, then we’re sure you’re in for a treat.
It’s a diverse week for gigs with a lot of interesting smaller scale events happening, too, as noted below.
While we can’t fit everything in, we would like to mention the latest instalment of the Wordsmith which takes place at the new home of Prohibition Studios. More on this event in the coming weeks as we had a chat with Wordsmith founder, Katie Nicolas.
Watch this space.
The week is rounded off at the Grand Central with the Levellers. If you need a pick-me-up to combat the Monday blues than look no further. This should be a big one.
For now, though, enjoy the rest of your weekend.
The pick of this week’s action:
Extra Soul Perception: 24 Kitchen Street, Monday, February 24
Featuring an all-star cast from the UK, Kenya and Uganda, Extra Soul Perception celebrates commonality across borders in the hope of changing perceptions of a long-established genre.
There’s such a wide scope of music genres at play here and the musicianship on hand will simply be something special. There’s no better way to kick start your week than here at 24 Kitchen Street.
The 1975: M&S Bank Arena, Wednesday, February 26
The 1975 return to Liverpool for their first show in five years. Excited? We are, too.
The band has just released their fourth album, Notes On A Conditional Form, which follows 2018’s A Brief Inquiry To Online Relationships. Probably the week’s biggest gig. For those attending – enjoy!
Mai Mai Mai: Kazimier Stockroom, Thursday, February 27
The folks at the Kazimier keep bringing us cutting edge left-field sounds, this time in the way of Italian based Mai Mai Mai.
If you like your drone and ambient soundscapes then look no further. Mai Mai Mai arrives in support of his 2019 release, Nel Sud
An Evening with Shaun Ryder: Leaf, Friday, February 28
Get a glass of Malbec and sink into one of those comfy couches upstairs at Leaf because this Friday night is for something different. Yes, a Q & A with Happy Mondays‘ Shaun Ryder. Should be an entertaining one.
To get you in the mood, have a read of our interview with Ryder published earlier this year.
SPINE #20 featuring PC World, Lonesaw, John-Robin Bold: Quarry, Saturday, February 29
The beautiful oddities at SPINE return with another night of left-field sounds at new venue, Quarry.
Leading the charge are PC World, GiT favourites, Lonesaw, and John-Robin Bold. Get your battle gear ready.
Elvis Costello & The Imposters: Eventim Olympia, Friday, February 28
Elvis Costello tours with his band, The Imposters on Friday night at the Olympia in what will be a feel-good factor of 10
Costello tours in support of his 30th studio album, Look Now, which was released last year to worldwide acclaim in what was his finest album in years. If you haven’t seen him before, now is the time. Support provided by Ian Prowse.
GospelbeacH: Outpost, Saturday, February 29
Fronted by Brent Rademaker, GospelbeacH features members of Mojave 3, Beechwood Sparks and of course featured one of the many projects of the late Neal Casal.
GospelbeacH tour in support of their third album, Let It Burn. Good pick-up for the Outpost here.
The best of the rest:
- RACHL featuring NORA and MAREN: Phase One, Tuesday February 25
- The Sherlocks: The Invisible Wind Factory, Wednesday February 26
- Paris Youth Foundation: The Zanzibar, Thursday February 27
- Happy Accidents presents Borth, Paint Me In Colour, The Let Go, Ostrich: The Jacaranda, Thursday February 27
- Terrorvision: Grand Central Hall, Thursday February 27
- The Whitney Houston Hologram Tour: M&S Bank Arena, Thursday February 27
- The Wordsmith featuring Clean Cut Kid, Thom Morecroft, Lyndsay Price, Paddy Clarke and Pixey: Prohibition Studios, Thursday February 27
- The Jackobins: Phase One, Friday February 28
- Gentlemens Dub Club: Invisible Wind Factory, Friday February 28
- Regan Reay: EBGB’s, Friday February 28
- Alfa Mist, Anti Social Jazz Club: The Invisible Wind Factory, Saturday February 29
- The Letrasets: Sound Basement, Saturday February 29
- Vaunce: EBGBS, Saturday February 29
- Blurred Bagel Presents IV Manzana Mañana + Guests: Phase One, Saturday February 29
- Flizz plus guests: The Zanzibar, Saturday February 29
- Rivia + guests: Jimmy’s Liverpool, Saturday February 29
- Levellers: Grand Central Hall, Sunday March 1