Following a chaotic week of shows, this week is a little quieter, Getintothis’ Simon Kirk has the details about this week’s gigs.
It’s been an interesting week. The autumn leaves are starting to scatter across the ground and you begin to ask yourself “is it cold enough to turn on the heating yet?” My tip is this: use an extra blanket and help save our planet.
There were plenty of gigs last week to keep our minds away from the chilly turn in the air. There was also a plethora of spellbinding new music being released, too so really, it’s all happening.
So, who did we all go and see last week? I managed to catch the venerable Jonathan Pie who didn’t let his audience down. Read our Banjo‘s review of the night for a full recap.
This week is a little quieter on the gig front, unless you’re brave enough to do a cup double with Little Mix at the M&S Bank Arena. We thought not…
We’ve taken up more than enough of your time here. Enough of the chat. Down to the business.
The pick of this week’s gigs:
Squid: The Shipping Forecast, Monday October 21
London-based up-and-comers, Squid, return to Liverpool for the third time this year.
They arrive in support of their new Town Centre EP, which has hit the spot nicely. The word is this one’s sold out, but, well, you know the score. Good luck to those trying to secure a late ticket.
Parrjazz presents B-ahwe + Sputnik’s jam: The Jacaranda Club, Tuesday October 22
Manchester’s B-ahwe is set to play at Parrjazz‘s new home in The Jacaranda Club.
Influence by the likes of Hiatus Kaiyote, Portishead and Fatima, B-awhe explores elements of hip-hop, trip-hop and neo soul. B-awhe arrives in Liverpool on the back of her latest single, Closer, which was released earlier this month.
Visible Women featuring Lisa O’Neill: Liverpool Philharmonic Music Room, Wednesday October 23
Bringing together three unique artists, Visible Women showcases contemporary Irish singer-songwriters, Maz O’Connor, Laura Duff and headline act, Lisa O’Neill.
Hosting the evening is spoken-word artist, broadcaster Ciara Ní É. This is set to be an evening of musical adventure and lyrical storytelling, all with a Gaelic twist.
Inhaler: Arts Club, Loft, Friday October 25
The Irish invasion continues, this time with Dublin four-piece, Inhaler, who is yet another from across the ditch that local promoter, EVOL, have snagged in what is quite the catch.
Inhaler arrive on the back of their latest single, Ice Cream Sundae, which landed in September. A new album is expected early next year.
Snapped Ankles: The Invisible Wind Factory Substation, Friday October 25
Having played in Liverpool twice this year, which included the opening of Kazimier Stockroom, Snapped Ankles make it the cup treble by announcing a show at the IWF Substation.
With their latest release, Stunning Luxury, continuing to melt heads with its huge array of sounds, the band have included our humble city in their European tour. Don’t sleep on this one, folks.
Vic Godard & The Subway Sect: 81 Renshaw Street, Saturday October 26
After his brilliant show at 81 Renshaw Street last year, Vic Godard returns to the city along with his formidable band, The Subway Sect.
This is bound to be one of the gigs of the week with the London punk legend set to unleash a bit of fury on the Renshaw Street faithful.
What else is on this week:
- The Parlotones: The Cavern, Monday October 21
- Robert Ellis, DoveTales: Jacaranda Phase One, Tuesday October 22
- Into The Woodlands featuring Bye Louis, Mazed, Louis Croft, Jamie Clague, Deylise: Studio2 Parr Street, Wednesday October 23
- The Rails: Jacaranda Phase One, Wednesday October 23
- Hot Flash Heat Wave: Sound Food and Drink, Thursday October 24
- Michael Ray: Arts Club, Loft, Thursday October 24
- LIFE: Jacaranda Phase One, Thursday October 24
- Johnny Lloyd: Jimmy’s, Thursday October 24
- Primes and Kanadia: The Jacaranda Club, Thursday October 24
- Martha Reeves & the Vandellas: Hangar34, Thursday October 24
- Little Comets: Arts Club, Friday October 25
- MAMATUNG EP Launch Party: Studio2 Parr Street, Friday October 25
- Press To Meco: EBGB’s, Friday October 25
- Cassia: The Zanzibar, Friday October 25
- Keywest: O2 Academy, Friday October 25
- Sussed w/ Heidi: 24 Kitchen Street, Friday October 25
- Joe Slater Live: Jacaranda Phase One, Friday October 25
- Brother & Bones: Jacaranda Phase One, Saturday October 26
- Vistas: Sound Food and Drink, Saturday October 26
- Only The Poets: Jimmy’s, Saturday October 26
- Ard Adz: 24 Kitchen Street, Saturday October 26
- ENRG presents Denis Sulta, DJ Boring, Blehrin: Invisible Wind Factory, Saturday October 26
- Congo Natty: Meraki, Saturday October 26
- The Wonder Pot x Watt Hz? Blawan: 24 Kitchen Street, Saturday October 26
- Parrjazz presents Flat Cap 3: Ma Boyles, Saturday October 26
- Striking Matches: Arts Club, Loft, Sunday October 27
- Tony Slattery Is Unrehearsable with George Christopher: 81 Renshaw, Sunday October 27