At the climax of yet another week, Getintothis’ Will Whitby brings you the roundup of the top stories and gigs of the week.
As the last utterances of summer trail away and the festival wellies are back in the Tesco bag for life to be chucked back in the garage, the music news and gigs keep flowing.
The shows are coming thick and fast as the Autumn gig season gears itself up. There are some key dates for the diary now as Liverpool and the UK welcome tours from Leeds & Reading festival headliners The 1975, Balley Records hotshots Crows and grime icon Kano.
The kids are back to school and so are the floods of students returning to Liverpool to get sweaty at Shit Indie Disco, wavey at Soak and dive head-first into a Nabzys before regretting it in the following morning’s lecture. We’ve put together a handy club nights guide for new students to take in the best in boss Liverpool nightlife.
This week has been one for commiserations as we acknowledged the passing of cult hero Daniel Johnston as the music industry eulogized the passing of the icon. Well loved Manchester venue Jimmys is also set to close its doors as its time becoming a favourite haunt comes to an end.
But it’s also be a week for celebrations as Chris Flack penned a brilliant essay to the 25th birthday of R.E.M’s classic Monster– a ride of Elvis suits, scuzzy guitars and dinosaurs. The Slits’ debut passed its 40th birthday too as we look back at the influential trailblazers.
Did anyone remember to bring a birthday cake?
As ever, we’re always looking for new writers and photographers to join our team, do feel free to drop us a message if you fancy joining the team. Be sure to follow our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram feeds for all the latest in news, reviews, hot topics and competitions.
Let’s get this ball rolling as we bring you the top stories of the week on Getintothis.
Getintothis’ top five most-read stories of the week:
- Bowie Unseen: Markus Klinko reveals new images of David Bowie in charity exhibition
- Razorlight’s Johnny Borrell talks Kurt Geiger style and it’s fucking hilarious
- Wild Beasts’ Tom Fleming talks One True Pairing – “it’s a rallying cry, a record of defiance”
- Festival fiascos, weather and wrath: A Getintothis Top Ten show-stopping disasters
- Gen and the Degenerates Cocaine exclusive first play plus interview – ‘I love the mythology of rock stardom’
Getintothis’ top five most-read gigs of the week:
- Edwyn Collins, Gabi Garbutt and the Illuminations, Seatbelts: Arts Club, Liverpool
- Leggy, Natalie and the Monarchy, Personal Best, Rival Unit: Jacaranda, Liverpool
- Native Harrow: Leaf Tea Shop, Liverpool
- Podge heads up Deep Cuts October humdinger as new music takes Phase One centre stage
- SPINE #14: Knifedoutofexistence, MAL, Les Croisières Dolori, V-X: Kazimier Stockroom, Liverpool