The Stroke’s Albert Hammond Jnr delivers a devine set at the Cathedral as Getintothis’ Michael Fowler is able to live out his fanboy fantasies – expect drooling and gushing as it all gets messy on day two of Liverpool Sound City.
With a head like a busy smokehouse, throats parched and heavy bagged eyes we step out into the second night of Sound City.
Shoe gazers, Hooton Tennis Club welcome us right into it with some wild, drowsy, fuzzed up guitars. Surf punk with a prog edge.
Moodoid debunk that old saying and prove all that glitters is actually gold, every band member was decked out in glitter covered gold dresses, silver suits and painted faces. Wonky guitars and throbbing dystopian bass scare and seduce the get into this stage. They end their set with fat guitars and a samba drum solo, it’s a party, a fiesta. The best kind of festival band.
So we make it to Albert Hammond Jnr. Gushing with fanboy love. We buy two t-shirts for the cheap cheap price of 15 quid, and the coolest member of The Strokes plays an awesome headline set.
On his own, he becomes a way more animated front man than you’d imagine. The unkempt curls of hair are gone, the tight fit suits replaced with a bright red bomber jacket with a Doberman emblazoned on the back, but the killer riffs, all that New York drawl and the romance, the romance, the romance, it’s all still there.
As the simple guitar of In Transit kicked in, memories of sim’pler times flooded back and all the camera phone recorders, the half time leavers, the drunk shoulder-elevated douchebags couldn’t ruin what was a perfect moment.
Albert Hammond Jr performing live at the Cathedral
Face and Heel, like The xx and Purity Ring before them, knock out black and white bass and sultry sexy vocals. Cool monochromatic dark soul.
Drenge the uncool loser band pack out the Kaz with a queue round the block. Heavy guitars, filthy lyrics, two boys with dirty minds and Liverpool in the palm of their hands, honestly they’re the best thing on tonight but is it too much to ask for a leather jacket or some skin.
Drenge have everything and the wildest pit at sound city so far but they ain’t got no sex appeal. If they had the strut of Thee Oh Sees at last Sound City fame this gig’d go down in legend. ‘Stead they’re a highlight. A fucking good highlight. We know, we’re being picky. Comment all the hell you’d like. Thick skin here. A pink Fender Jaguar and lead singer, Eoin Loveless‘s lary vocals, in any case makes our heads nod and mouths water. Anarchic smash blitz.
Fuck Buttons live at Liverpool Sound City 2014
Fuck Buttons pick you up and boy oh boy, the beat, well, they drop it. As if monochrome was a theme of the night they play visuals that spiral and the dancing follows suit. Everyone is sent spinning and our minds are left in wanting. Fuck buttons in control.
Throw your television in the skip and listen up to Hellivision. Guitar heavy trio to make you stomp. Finally we close at Factory Floor in the Kaz – and at this hour (it’s 5am) words simply won’t do justice – let’s just let it all sink in – and we’ll see you tomorrow.
Pictures by Getintothis‘ John Johnson and Simon Lewis
Further reading on Getintothis
Liverpool Sound City 2014 Review: Day Two Round Up.
Liverpool Sound City 2014 Review: Day One Round Up.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: Top 10 Merseyside bands to watch
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: Top 10 international bands to watch.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: Top 10 UK bands to watch.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: Getintothis‘ guide to the venues.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: Things to do off the beaten track.
* John Cale – the grit in the oyster that shaped the sound we worship today.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: Revo‘s routeplanner – the insider’s guide.
*Liverpool Sound City 2014: Getintothis presents Jon Hopkins and stellar Merseyside show at Nation.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: Fringe events and John Peel World Cup revealed.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: The Hold Steady ready to bear their teeth.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014 – a Getintothis festival playlist.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014 add The Kooks to festival bill.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: He used to come round wearing make up and strange Japanese Kimono clothing – David Pichilingi.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: Jon Hopkins, Albert Hammond Jnr, Drenge and more for May festival.
* Liverpool Sound City 2014 announce headliners Kodaline plus Gruff Rhys and Fuck Buttons for May festival
* Liverpool Sound City 2014: John Cale and Thurston Moore head up Conference speakers
* Liverpool Sound City 2014 reveal football, music and style themes
* Liverpool Sound City 2013: Top 10 bands and review round up of the festival