Band applications are open for the seventh Liverpool Sound City, organisers talk to Getintothis on this year’s three themes – football, music and style.
Liverpool loves a tradition, and Liverpool Sound City has quickly become one of the most eagerly-awaited dates on the calendar.
Last year more than 41,000 music fans flock to venues all over the city to watch over 360 artists in just three days, while 3,500 delegates attended its music, media and technology conference. For 2014, the seventh edition of Liverpool Sound City – taking place from May 1-3 – organisers say it will be bigger, better and even more unmissable.
Liverpool Sound City aims to marry the themes of football and music; broad concepts that define Liverpool yet historically set it apart from its national and worldwide competitors.
David Pichilingi, CEO of Sound City states that “in the north, these things are part of our upbringing and that’s why there has been so much success from Liverpool and Manchester. In the last 50 years our two cities alone have produced more talent and creative output than most countries.”
Liverpool Sound City is currently programming the style and music content, promising big names.
Andrew Loog Oldham, former manager of the Rolling Stones, will be lead curator for the Sound City 2014 conference and will be leading the way in helping to bring in world-class guests and speakers and innovators around the key themes of music, football and style.
The football content is provided by The Anfield Wrap – the LFC inspired podcast, website and digital magazine with both the podcast and magazine firm fixtures in the top ten of the UK Sports iTunes charts with a world-wide audience from Anfield to Australia.
With a focus on new and emerging and talent, Sound City 2013 also saw over 300 emerging bands and artists taking to the stage during the festival – following an open application process.
In preparation for next year, 2014 applications went live on Friday October 4.
To be in with a chance of being a part of next year’s festival, visit the Sound City website and follow the Apply To Play link.
Further reading on Getintothis:
Getintothis Top 10: 1992 – The Dawn of the Premier League.
Liverpool Sound City 2012: The John Peel World Cup and Getintothis fantasy football
Liverpool Sound City 2013: Top 10 bands and review round up of the festival
Liverpool Sound City 2013: Day Two round up
Liverpool Sound City 2013: Day One round up
- Lunar Modular, Oneohtrix Point Never, Esco Williams, Skaters, These Reigning Days, Taylor Fowlis, Blackeye, Tizzy Bac: The Garage, The Zanzibar, The Kazimier, Liverpool
- AlunaGeorge, Fenech Soler, Jetta, Swim Deep, Moongai, The Cold One Hundred, Coffee and Cakes for Funerals: The Garage, Epstein Theatre, Kazimier Gardens, The Zanzibar, Liverpool
- Killaflaw, Alex Hulme, Findlay, Tom Waitresses, Popstrangers, Clockwork On The Moon, Sankofa: The Brink, Brooklyn Mixer, Studio 2, Sound Food & Drink, Academy of Arts
- Bastille, Tying Tiffany, All We Are, Springtime Anchorage, Ofeliadorme, Eden Royals, Cold Shoulder: The Garage, The Attic, The Brink, The Black-E
- Future of the Left, Andrew Loog Oldham, Police Squad, Super Fast Girlie Show, The Boy Royals, Chloe Howl, Vasco Da Gama, The Anfield Wrap
- Brolin, Baltic Fleet, Jazzhands, Ady Suleiman, Death Masks: The Kazimier, The Garage, Arts Academy, Zanzibar
- Savages, Bill Ryder-Jones, Dan Croll, The Hummingbirds, Temples, Broken Men, Natalie McCool – picture gallery
- London Grammar, Cub Scouts, The Excitements, Lulu James, Sea of Keys, Johnny Sands, On And On, Dan Croll, The Loud: Kazimier Gardens, Heebies Courtyard, Epstein Theatre Bar, East Village Arts Club, The Garage, Krazyhouse
- Mikill Pane, Broken Men, Best Friends, Bow and Arrow, Theme Park and Egyptian Hip Hop – picture gallery
- Sheepy, Alpha Male Tea Party, The Not Amused, Palm Reader, Matzka, Enter Shikari: Mello Mello, Screenadelica, The Attic, O2 Academy
- Mount Kimbie, Delphic, Egyptian Hip Hop, Kamp!, Laura J Martin, Rubberbear, The Ramona Flowers, Matzka: The Garage, Arts Academy, Mello Mello, Kazimier Gardens, Leaf
- Mikill Pane, TOY, Thee Oh Sees, PINS, Fire Beneath The Sea, Silent Sleep, Wet Nuns and more – gallery