As the mince pie supplies begin to run low, Getintothis’ Max Richardson rounds up the high points of the week.
Well, that’s it.
Weeks of preparation spent peeling potatoes and researching the best turkey recipes online – and it’s over in a split second.
And as we enter the anarchic period that is the last week of the year, there’s no better time to sit back and spin a few albums, both old and new.
This writer is currently bashing out a bit of Mogwai, in particular the sublime 2017 release Every Country’s Sun. Somehow, it’s managed to pass me by, but it truly is a corker of a listen.
Another album that’s being relentlessly spun at the moment is The Lightning Seeds’ Jollification. After catching them live a few weeks ago, this writer is finally giving it a listen – and what an album it is.
Of course, it’s not the Christmas period without a few decent films on the telly.
One such standout of the festive television this year has to be the superb family film Paddington Two, featuring a star-studded predominantly British cast to breathe new life into the iconic character.
This writer was surprised by the wit of the film, which is just impeccably written. If you haven’t yet given it a try – it’s available on BBC iPlayer, and is perfect viewing over the festive period.
Have you been listening to any albums, old or new over the festive period? Or seen any decent films that have perhaps passed you by? We’d love to hear, so feel free to let us know in the comments below.
Anyway – let’s crack on with the Getintothis’ Top Five stories and gigs of the week.
Getintothis’ top five most-read stories of the week:
- Moshfest metal festival set to rock Jimmy’s Liverpool in the New Year
- Stealing Sheep: Getintothis’ band of the year talk Big Wows, American dates, Sound City and the future
- Getintothis’ Guestlist selections Part One: staff writers and photographers on 2019
- Getintothis Guestlist selections Part Two: Liverpool venues, labels and promoters
- Getintothis’ top metal albums of 2019 – a Dysgeusia Festive Special
Getintothis’ top five most-read gigs of the week:
- Ali Horn, Bobby West, COW, New Mexico: Arts Club, Liverpool
- Ponderosa Glee Boys, Vermin Suicides: District, Liverpool
- Cast, Stone, The Kendos: O2 Academy Liverpool
- The Flying Luttenbachers, Yossarians, Claire Welles: Kazimier Stockroom, Liverpool
- The Peach Fuzz, Pixey, Kangaroos: The Cavern, Liverpool