May is in full swing and the sun is finally coming back out, Getintothis’ Will Whitby brings you the highlights of the week over on Getintothis.
Afternoon everybody, have we all recovered from last weekend?
Festival season is finally upon us and we’re all gearing up for a stellar summer of great live music, the great outdoors, great line ups and great times.
Sound City gripped Liverpool last weekend as the Getintothis team found the festival to be one of the best for years.
What do you get if you put 12 writers and photographers over 17 stages for 3 days? The outcome is the most extensive review of Sound City weekend you’re going to find and we’d love it if you could check it out.
This writer’s favourite act were Shame on the Saturday afternoon; there is something so unashamedly Scouse about them despite them coming from South London.
We’re also looking forward to The Venus Collective bringing a screening of The Punk Singer to Metal Liverpool at Edge HIll.
The film documents the life of Bikini Kill’s Kathleen Hanna and is a beacon of the Riot Grrrl movement and feminism within the 90s punk rock scene. The night will also have Getintothis favourite Beija Flo in attendance- definitely an event not to miss.
Some more big tour news too as guitar twosome Rodrigo y Gabriela are back at the Academy in September. The National return with their new album this coming Friday and have just announced a new UK tour to show it off.
While you’re over on the Facebook page be sure to drop us a line if you’d like to get involved with Getintothis.
Anyway, without further ado, here are the top five stories and gigs of the week.
Getintothis most read stories of the week:
- Liverpool Sound City 2019 review, pictures, best bands and what we learnt from the Baltic Triangle
- Stephen Morris interview: “We didn’t want to be Joy Division anymore, but we didn’t know anything else”
- Calvin Johnson talks collaborations, K Records and dude rock
- Liverpool Arts Diary: Lightnight, Ian McKellan in conversation and more- May 2019
- Rodrigo Y Gabriela to play O2 Academy, Mick Head launches new website, Giant Rooks first gig announced at Jimmy’s
Getintothis top five most-read gigs of the week
- Live at Leeds review, impressions and gallery
- The Specials, The Tuts: Eventim Olympia, Liverpool
- The National tour news and film
- Space, The Sums: Jacaranda Phase One, Liverpool
- The Night Cafe set date for debut album and announce UK tour including Liverpool Olympia