The suns out, summer is here and it has been another hectic week of music news as Getintothis’ Will Whitby brings you the roundup of our top stories of the week.
We hope everyone brought their suncream out to Africa Oye yesterday at Sefton Park.
Getintothis had an incredible weekend soaking up the best in afrobeat, reggae, dub, ska and more- wasn’t Horace Andy amazing! Be sure to check back into Getintothis to get the lowdown with our review.
Elsewhere in the festival world Citadel is approaching and we’ve previewed the growing London festival as Friendly Fires, DMAs and Dream Wife feature in our ones to watch preview. If you’ve got the wanderlust Pitchfork just announced their Paris music festival with the likes of Skepta, Chromatics, Belle & Sebastian, Slowthai and more performing over Halloween weekend.
Closer to home the latest in a great series of exhibits at the British Music Experience opened this week. Microdot showcases the best in a raft of iconic music design from the 90s with exclusive pieces from Oasis, The Verve, Super Furry Animals and more on show on the waterfront.
We’ve had words with Liverpool’s hottest jazz act Blind Monk Theory as the “supergroup” continues to show off the boss new jazz scene in Liverpool. This writer has got all jazzy too and recommends you all listen to The Cactus Channel’s new release.
It’s a Beatles film (no wait, hear us out) but a Beatles film asking what if the Fab Four didn’t exist and their music was released in present day. A question no doubt you’ve pondered and the film is a lot of fun too.
As ever, we’re always looking for new writers and photographers to join our team, do feel free to drop us a message if you fancy joining the team. Be sure to follow our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram feeds for all the latest in news, reviews, hot topics and competitions.
Let’s get this ball rolling as we bring you the top stories of the week on Getintothis:
Getintothis’ most read stories of the week:
- Wayne Hussey Interview: “It was interesting to me to find out about my own story”
- Glastonbury Festival 2019 – nine ones to watch at Worthy Farm
- Liverpool Central Business District Redevelopment Scheme joins long list of confusing acronyms
- Can’s Monster Movie at 50 – the tribal beat beast which became hip hop’s blueprint
- Lost Liverpool #25: Jimmy Campbell – the greatest songwriter you’ve never heard of?
Getintothis’ top five most-read gigs of the week:
- Primavera Sound 2019 review, picture gallery and what we learnt from Barcelona
- The Courteeners, James, DMAS, Pale Waves: Heaton Park, Manchester
- Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Melle Mel & Scorpio, L100 CYPHER: Shankly Hotel, Liverpool
- Gerry Cinnamon to play M&S Bank Arena date with The Coral on UK and Ireland tour
- Deeper Cuts Festival – an interstellar new music happening in Liverpool