As another week draws to a close, Getintothis’ Max Richardson rounds things up for you.
Well here we are again, it’s time once more to sum up the week here on the site.
It’s cold, it’s dark, and it’s wet outside, but we’ve had an utter abundance of new music released this week including some seriously high quality releases.
The new LP by Courteeners titled More.Again.Forever. is sounding top class after an initial listen, with singles Heavy Jacket and Better Man only giving fans a small taste of the sheer quality that was to follow – a superb listen if you haven’t yet given it a spin.
Elsewhere this week, we were given a surprise album by legendary rapper Eminem, released out of the blue on Friday with no singles or announcement, similar to 2018’s Kamikaze.
Music To Be Murdered By sees Eminem venture further towards the realms of chart-friendly contemporary hip-hop, with tracks such as Those Kinda Nights, a collaboration with Ed Sheeran, clearly aiming for commercial success – complete with radio-friendly hook.
In other news, this writer had the utter pleasure of catching 1917 this week.
The film focuses on the tale of a small group of soldiers behind enemy lines in the first world war, and features a star-studded cast including Andrew Scott, Benedict Cumberbatch and more – all directed under the seasoned Sam Mendes.
It’s a difficult watch, but is well worth catching, definitely worth a watch in cinema while it’s still running.
Anyway, without further ado, let’s crack on with the Getintothis Top Five:
Getintothis’ top five most-read stories of the week:
- Merseyside music’s best new acts of 2020 – Getintothis’ new breed of the ones to watch
- 19 albums that slipped under the radar in 2019
- Zee Davine: “I’d really like to show how far I can push things, because that’s why I do it”
- Best 20 culture events for 2020: the top arts events, exhibitions, theatre, festivals of the year
- Half Man Half Biscuit announce 2020 tour dates
Getintothis’ top five most-read gigs of the week:
- Judy Collins: Grand Central Hall, Liverpool
- Liverpool Music Village Benefit Gig with Beatnik Hurricane, Edgar Jones, The Entire City and more: Phase One
- Bowie Special: Jimmy’s, Liverpool
- Single By Sunday, Hyde Project: Jimmy’s, Liverpool
- Field Music: Phase One, Liverpool